Sunday, February 24, 2019

Letter Writing

     When I was younger I was encouraged to read and write. So, I did. I read lots of stuff, and I used to write letters to my favorite musicians, actors, authors, and sports heroes  

                                        with a pen 

                                                        onto a piece of paper.

     As I got older, I continued this odd practice. Writing, I mean. That is not to say that I gave up reading. I did not. I kept that odd practice, too. But what I was referring to was, of course, my practice of writing letters. I had pen pals with whom I corresponded with through my tweens and teens, and I was quite adept at writing letters for free stuff, promo things, junk like that. I was interested in lots of stuff, but most of all I was a music fan, and so I wrote my favorite musicians. 

     Sometimes they even wrote back.

     I was always in awe of the people I wrote. I respected them. I was a fan of their music, and I was interested in who they were, and what their interests were. There was nothing judgmental on my part. That is to say, when I reached out to write to them, I didn't enter the dialogue with the intention of passing my values onto them. I simply wanted to know what their deal was.

     I certainly wasn't going to tell them why their ideals and values were below my standards. Tell them that their politics suck. Tell them what kind of music to play, or tell them which songs to play. The reason was pretty simple. I respected them, and I respected their belief systems. 

     I was well aware of my status. I was a fan, not a friend. These heroes owed me nothing. Indeed, it was me who was being given the gift of their time, after they had already given me more than I deserved- which was their art.

No comments:

Post a Comment