Monday, February 25, 2019

Repost from Beta: Time to Regroup and Focus (unfinished. 12/8/2014


Monday, December 8, 2014

Time to Regroup and Focus

Yesterday I walked away from Facebook. Maybe it's temporary. But I hope not. I already feel a sense of liberation in doing it. I have a number of reasons for doing it. Facebook is so limiting and so intrusive on many levels. It is intrusive, sucks up time, and indulges people and ideas that are counter-productive. I'm over it, and I am checking out.

Facebook is intrusive. When I first got a cell phone I felt a piece of my freedom fly away. People could call me and find me at any time. I felt obligated to answer, or to respond in a timely manner. Unlike the pager- which just reminded me to locate someone and respond- the cell phone and texting features gave carte blanche to anyone I gave my phone number to. They could access my life 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

And, for the most part, that was fine. After all, it was my family, my close friends, and my work who accessed it. Those are my regulators. The people who kept me anchored and on track. But along the way the computer feature began to interweave with the regulators. And when that happened the fine line between obligation and addiction began to merge.

Facebook makes me question the validity of the First Amendment. Yeah, I said it. Facebook gives a voice to the stupid. I love to clown around with people, but the fine line between joking around, and saying hurtful things was erased. People started stalking and hunting. Real mean, nasty stuff. Trolling happens in the blog world, but the sense of imminent threats is magnified on Facebook.

Facebook eats up valuable time.

Facebook gives access to people who don't deserve my time.

There are things I don't need to know bout you, and that you don't know about me.

Facebook inhibits creative thought and problem solving.solving ones own problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment



 
Preview
Preview
 

No comments:

Post a Comment